Matís works on a variety of projects in the food industry, with an emphasis on innovation and added value. The projects are carried out in collaboration with domestic food producers, universities and all those who in some way provide services to the food industry.
The projects are carried out in collaboration with domestic food producers, universities and all those who in some way provide services to the food industry.
Efforts are being made to increase collaboration with foreign research institutes and companies through international research and development projects.
The value of Matís
Initiative - Creativity - Ambition - Integrity.
The role of Matís
- Strengthen the competitiveness of Icelandic products and the economy.
- Ensure food safety and sustainable use of the environment through research, innovation and services.
- Improve public health.
Strategy and vision
- To continue to be a progressive knowledge company that strengthens Iceland's competitiveness and thus returns revenue to the Icelandic state.
- To continue to be a sought-after, demanding and exciting workplace with first-class facilities where employees enjoy their work.
- And have qualified and happy staff.
History of Matís
In 2006, a law was passed in Althingi authorizing the establishment of a public limited company that united under one hat three government agencies specializing in research and development in the food industry. These were the Fisheries Research Institute, Keldnaholt Food Research and the Environment Agency's Laboratory. When Matís was founded, the biotechnology company Prokaria also joined the company. The same law provided for the new establishment of Matvælarannsóknir hf. but its operations as a public limited company began on 1 January 2007 under the name Matís. Its activities today are under the Ministry of Industry and Innovation.