At Matís, we work on diverse projects in the food industry, where the focus is on innovation and value addition. The projects are carried out in collaboration with national food producers, universities and all those who in some way provide services to the food industry.
Efforts are being made to increase collaboration with foreign research institutes and companies through international research and development projects.
The value of Matís
Initiative - Creativity - Ambition - Integrity.
The role of Matís
- Strengthen the competitiveness of Icelandic products and the economy.
- Ensure food safety and sustainable use of the environment through research, innovation and services.
- Improve public health.
Strategy and vision
- To continue to be a progressive knowledge company that strengthens Iceland's competitiveness and thus returns revenue to the Icelandic state.
- To continue to be a sought-after, challenging and exciting workplace with first-class facilities where staff enjoy their work.
- And have qualified and happy staff.
History of Matís
In 2006, a law was passed in Alþingi that authorized the creation of a public limited company that united under one roof three government institutions specializing in research and development in the food industry. These were the Research Institute of the Fish Industry, Keldnaholti Food Research and the Research Institute of the Environment. When Matís was founded, the biotechnology company Prokaria also merged into the company. The same law stipulated the new establishment of Matvæla rybnaði hf. but its operation as a public limited company began on January 1, 2007 under the name Matís. Its activities today fall under the Ministry of Food.
Matís operates on the basis of Act no. 68/2006 on Matís ohf. They can be found here: Act on Matís ohf.