The Icelandic database on the chemical content of food (ÍSGEM) The database contains information on the chemical content of food on the Icelandic market.
Part of the data in the database is published here on Matís' website. Previously, the price of nutrient tablets have been published as printed manuals and as pdf documents on Matís' website.
- Available information on 45 ingredients in about 1200 foods is published. The substances include protein, fat, carbohydrates, water, vitamins, minerals and four undesirable substances; mercury, lead, cadmium and arsenic.
- There is one tablet for each food type.
- All tablets show contents in 100 grams of edible parts.
- Values in the ÍSGEM database describe the composition of the samples that were chemically analyzed. If the composition was evaluated by calculation, the results only apply to the relevant recipe and assumptions. The chemical content of most foods varies and therefore values in ÍSGEM may not apply to all samples of the food in question.
It is recommended that people learn more detailed instructions by clicking on: ÍSGEM explanations.
About searching in ÍSGEM
- The ÍSGEM database has not been updated in its entirety for about 10 years. However, certain parts of it have been updated.
- The data presented here are based on a solid foundation, especially for unprocessed foods. However, it must be borne in mind that the chemical composition of food changes for a variety of reasons, such as the effects of feed, environmental factors, meat cutting methods and changed recipes of processed foods.
- The ÍSGEM database has been used in the preparation of nutrition declarations for food packaging. In such cases, it is always necessary to weigh and assess whether the information is relevant. Food marketers are always responsible for ensuring that the information on food packaging is correct.
- Matís does not guarantee the reliability of the data or its use in other forums.